Bible doctrine taught at Colonial Baptist Church in Norwich, CT concerning...
SECTION IV. CONCERNING THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. We believe that the Holy Spirit is a member of the God-head.
1. He possesses the same nature, attributes, and perfection as the Father and the Son.
2. He eternally co-exists with the Father and the Son.
B. We believe that the Holy Spirit operated in the Old Testament.
1. He spoke to God’s people through the prophets.
2. He inspired holy men of God to record the workings of God for posterity.
3. He preserved the seed of Abraham to bring forth the Messiah in the fullness of time.
C. We believe that the Holy Spirit ministered in the New Testament.
1. He filled John the Baptist, empowering him to make straight the way of the Lord.
2. He caused the virgin Mary to conceive with the Seed of the Most High.
3. He came upon Jesus at His baptism, empowering Him for His ministry.
4. He participated in the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord.
5. He indwelled and empowered the Apostles to carry on the work Christ had begun.
6. He authenticated the work and teaching of the Apostles with signs and wonders.
7. He inspired and preserved the record the Apostles left of Christ and the early Church.
D. We believe that the Holy Spirit ministers in this present Church Age.
1. He convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment.
2. He regenerates those who repent of sin and believe upon the Savior.
3. He baptizes believers into the body of Christ.
4. He seals believers until the day of redemption, making them eternally secure.
5. He indwells the bodies of believers, forming in them the image of Christ.
6. He illuminates the minds of believers, teaching them the meaning of the Scriptures.
7. He fills obedient believers, energizing them to do the supernatural works of God.
8. He endows all believers with spiritual gifts, equipping them for ministry.
9. He calls and equips some to vocational ministry as evangelists, pastors, and teachers.
10. He restrains evil in this present age until our Lord returns for His Church.
11. He summarily works to bring glory to God and to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ.
SECTION V. CONCERNING MAN.
A. We believe that man was created in God’s image and likeness by the direct act of God.
B. We believe that man is a responsible creature.
1. Man was created with a free will and given power to choose.
2. Though his free will was tainted by the fall, he still possesses the power of choice.
3. He is responsible to choose right and resist wrong.
4. He will be held accountable on Judgment Day for each thought, word, and deed.
C. We believe that man is a depraved sinner.
1. Adam lived in a perfect, sinless environment in an innocent state before God.
2. Adam willfully sinned against God and fell from that privileged state.
3. Consequently, all men are constituted sinners and are totally depraved.
4. Fallen human nature is devoid of the ability to do right or to please God and is positively inclined to do evil.
5. Man, apart from the grace of God, is already under the condemnation of God and will be consigned forever to eternal punishment because of his lost condition.
SECTION VI. CONCERNING THE ETERNAL STATE.
A. We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men.
1. The saved will be resurrected to eternal life.
2. The unsaved will be resurrected to judgment and everlasting punishment.
B. We believe that the souls of the redeemed, at the moment of death, are:
1. Absent from the body and present with the Lord.
2. In a state of conscious bliss.
3. Awaiting the First Resurrection when spirit, soul, and body are reunited to be glorified forever with the Lord.
C. We believe that the souls of the unbelievers, at the moment of death, are:
1. Doomed to hell, a place of conscious punishment and torment, which burns with literal fire.
2. Awaiting the Second Resurrection when spirit, soul, and body, shall be reunited to appear at the Great White Throne Judgment.
3. Found not to be written in the Book of Life and, consequently, shall be cast into the Lake of Fire to suffer everlasting, conscious punishment and torment.