SECTION XXII. CONCERNING MUSIC.
A. We believe that church music, by design, should bring glory to God.
1. It glorifies the Lord by worshipping Him for His attributes, character, and nature.
2. It glorifies the Lord by thanking Him for His common goodness and grace.
3. It glorifies the Lord by praising Him for His revelation of Himself to mankind through His written Word and His Son, Jesus Christ, who provided salvation for all who believe.
B. We believe that church music by design should edify men.
1. It edifies men by lifting the heart toward the Lord.
2. It edifies men by enlightening the mind about the Lord.
3. It edifies men by convicting the soul of sin against the Lord.
4. It edifies men by motivating the will to obey and serve the Lord.
C. We believe that there is a kind of music, with or without words, that is honoring to God and that there is a kind of music that is dishonoring to God.
1. We accept sacred, traditional, hymn book, Gospel music as music that honors God.
2. We reject “Christian Rap”, “Christian rock”, “contemporary Christian music”, “praise music”, etc. as forms of music that bring the World into the Church and that dishonor God.
SECTION XXIII. CONCERNING THE CHARISMATIC MOVEMENT.
A. We believe in the ministry of the Holy Spirit as described in Section IV.
B. We reject the tenants of the Charismatic Movement as aberrations of Biblical truth.
1. We believe that the sign gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as speaking in tongues and healing, were temporary.
a. They accompanied and authenticated the ministry and message of the Apostles.
b. They ceased once God’s revelation was complete, and the Scriptures became the sole and final authority for faith and practice.
2. We believe that speaking in tongues was never the common or necessary sign of the baptism or filling of the Holy Spirit.
3. We believe that the ultimate deliverance of the body from sickness or death awaits the consummation of our salvation in the resurrection, though God frequently chooses to answer the prayers of believers for physical healing.
4. We believe that wealth and prosperity are not necessary signs of the Lord’s blessings; instead, suffering is a more frequent design upon the believer’s life and testimony.
5. We believe that “prophecies” or “teachings” that are extra-Biblical are dangerous and fallible and should be rejected in favor of the finished revelation of God’s Word.
SECTION XXIV. CONCERNING THE AUTHORITY OF THE STATEMENT.
A. The Statement of Faith does not exhaust the extent of our faith.
B. The Bible itself is the sole and final source of all that we believe.
C. We do believe, however, that the foregoing Statement of Faith accurately represents the teaching of the Bible, and therefore, is binding upon all members.
D. For purposes of the legal protection of this organizations faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline the authority for interpretation of the Bible’s meaning and application presented in our Statement of Faith, Constitution and By Laws, and Procedural Policies rests with the Pastor(s), the Deacon(s), and the ratification by member approval according to due process as delineated in the Constitution and By Laws of Colonial Baptist Church.